Sciatica is a pain that originated in the lower back or buttock, and it travels into one or both legs.
The intensity and frequency of it range from minimal to moderate or severe. Also, the pain is occasional, intermittent, frequent, or constant.
Doctors describe sciatic pain as an achy and dull pain like a toothache. Some people feel an electric shock like shooting pain or a pins and needles sensation.
Burning, tingling, or numbness are also symptoms of Sciatica. Though it is referred to as a disorder, it is a symptom of disease actually.
What causes Sciatica?
The cause of Sciatica is due to the sciatic nerve compression. The prominent reasons are spinal disorders such as:
- Misaligned vertebral bodies
- Slipped disc
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Spinal tumors
- Piriformis syndrome
- Non-spinal reasons like constipation or diabetes
- Professional hazards such as prolonged sitting jobs
Since there are several reasons behind Sciatica, it is critically important to diagnose it thoroughly. Not just physical and neurological diagnostic tests, but having a thoughtful review of the medical history of the patient is also essential.
Chiropractic treatment for Sciatica
A chiropractor conducts necessary diagnostic tests first. It may include X-Ray examination, CT Scan, or MRI. By these tests, he can detect possible contraindications to chiropractic therapy and spinal adjustment.
The chiropractic treatment for sciatica helps the body’s potential so that it can heal itself. To achieve that, the chiropractor uses scientific principles to restrict spinal movements that trigger pain.
Chiropractic treatment is a non-invasive and drug-free treatment. The type of therapy a chiropractor selects depends on the condition of the patient.
It is a complete package that includes cold and ice therapy, Ultra Sonography, and spinal adjustments and manipulations.
- Ice or cold-water therapy to reduce sciatic pain and inflammation.
- Ultrasound procedure penetrates deep not the soft tissues like muscles. It improves circulation and control spasms and cramps.
- Chiropractic procedures to bring down stiffness and swelling.
- Nerve stimulation with the help of a battery-powered portable muscle stimulating machine reduces the muscle spasms or acute pain.
- Spinal manipulation is the core procedure of a chiropractic treatment. By manipulation chiropractor frees restricted movements of the spine. He restores misaligned vertebral bodies and restores their proper position in the spinal column.
Chiropractic treatment is a painless and effective treatment for sciatica. Being a non-invasive method, it is popular nowadays.
It is very much important that the chiropractor you consult is expert and experienced one. He should have treated many people earlier.
Stapleton Chiropractic is the experienced chiropractor in Adelaide has Over 40 year’s professional experience in neck pain, lower back pain, shoulder pain and sciatica pain with aim to provide patients with quality chiropractic care at the most cost-effective price servicing in western and southern suburbs of Adelaide.